Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Exponents








Hello. My name is Rachel. I made this post as best as i could.
I am sorry if you dont understand.
I did this topic on exponents. I hope i helped you on
exponents.




Vocabulary


Base-the base is the number that is used as a factor.

(the larger number of the 2 in the problem.)


Exponent-the number that indacates how many times the base is multiplying itself by.

(the problem it is the smaller number)








How do you do exponents???


An exponent is not the base of and eqation.

It is the opposite number, also known as the

smaller number in the corner when you look

at the problem. Here are a few examples below.


ex. 73


This means 7 to the 3rd power.


The way that you solve this eqation is


you would do 7 times itself 3 times.



7x7x7=343



7x7=49



49x7=343




ex.45


4x4x4x4x4=1024


4x4=16


16x4=64


64x4=256


256x4=1024



Here is a link to Astronomy

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx



1 comment:

oroarkclass said...

Good/Great job! You did a great job explaining the topic and vocabulary. Your link didn't have anything to do with the topic on it. I suggested astronomy as a possible source for an application of exponents in scientific notation. Next time try to find some information that relates to the topic. Good job with your explanation!